Putting into service in 1932, the Tunnel du Chat links the region of Chambéry and the Avant-Pays Savoyard. The Savoy Department has owned the structure since 2006. The current works for upgrading to standards the tunnel consist of building a second tunnel for safety alongside the present one. The main tunnel is also going to be modernized. Works started in February 2015 with the gallery opening and it will last until the end of 2017. With €40 million spread on 3 years, it’s one of the most important construction sites leaded by the Department of this last years.
DURING THE WORKS
Access to Billième (RD210a) via RD210.
FROM FEBRUARY 2015 TO FEBRUARY 2017
Temporary closures of the tunnel
There will not be closures during the most frequented periods:
- Rush hours (6am to 9.30am and 5pm to 7pm) from Monday morning to Friday night.
- Weekends in winter periods (from mid-November to mid-April) and summer periods (July and August).
- Weekends with public holidays (on Saturday or Sunday) or adjacent (Friday or Monday).
Possible temporary closures:
- Can last 10 to 40 minutes maximum
- closures of 30 minutes from 12:30am to 4:30am
- Some nights, from 10pm to 6am
- Some weekends from Friday 10pm to Monday 6am
These closures are necessary to safely enable explosive shots, works, supply or transfer of equipment and trucks exits on Bourdeau side.
FROM APRIL TO NOVEMBER 2017
Complete tunnel closure
The main tunnel renovation works will begin after digging works on safety gallery. It will be necessary to close the tunnel from April to November 2017. The duration of that closure is condensed to the maximum in order to limit inconveniences. Furthermore, a traffic diversion by the Chat pass isn’t conceivable in winter periods so works are stopped.
SMS registration – contact – news
Alert with SMS: Click here to register and choose one or several types of tunnel closed messages.
Click here for more information.